Back to Zing Documentation Home
Using Zing Virtual Machine with Zing System Tools
This section describes how to use the Zing Virtual Machine (ZVM) with Zing System Tools (ZST).
Since ZVM 19.07.0.0, the RPM/DEB package dependency towards the ZST package is removed and new installations of Zing on container-based systems do not require ZST. As of ZST 5.22.4, the zing-zst-ForContainer packages are empty. See Zing System Tools Libraries Retirement from Containers for details.
ZST 5.20.5 provides compatibility with the newly available fixes for the recently reported Intel CPU kernel side-channel security flaws and is required for Zing to operate on Linux distributions that have been updated to address these flaws by adding kernel page table isolation (KPTI). To avoid problems, you should upgrade your ZST to ZST 5.20.5 or higher as soon as possible. Our recommendation for best practice in isolating changes independently is to update Zing to use ZST 5.20.5 and verify your application launches and works, then apply your KPTI kernel update, and recheck that your application launches and still works. Azul is tracking industry-wide response to the recently reported side-channel security flaws. As changes to different operating system distributions emerge, Azul will continue to provide guidance on how to best accommodate those changes.
Azul recognizes the concern over a potential regression in Java's use of ZLib and subsequent data decompression errors, as discussed here: https://github.com/madler/zlib/issues/305. The Zing ZVM never shipped a public release exhibiting this problem. However, a preventive change included in ZVM 17.11.0 ensures the problem will not occur in future releases.
- Zing System Tools Release Notes
- Zing with ZST System Requirements
- ZVM with ZST Installation Prerequisites Details
- Installing the Zing System Tools
- Installing the Zing Virtual Machine with ZST
- Installing Zing System Tools Using DKMS
- Verifying Zing Virtual Machine with ZST Installation
- Zing Virtual Machine with ZST Post Installation Tasks
- Run a Java Application with ZVM and ZST
- Zing Compatibility Reference
- Zing ZST Compatibility and API Versions
- Transparent HugePages Settings
- ZST Memory Configuration
- Installing and Configuring Zing Using Read-Only Images
- Upgrading or Uninstalling Zing Components
- ZVM with ZST Monitoring and Management
© Azul Systems, Inc. 2020 All rights reserved.